Friday 21 October 2011

Evaluation of modelling the Head

The head model is all finished. I can say that I am quite satisfied with the final result. At the end I managed to do some extra work by adding hair and beard which gave a really nice look. The head model definitely looks similar to me. As this was the main purpose of the module part i consider it to be successful. I am pleased that I have managed to learn new modelling technique. The organic modelling approach appears to give a lot of focus on preparation stage. Creating the topology using reference images is not an easy task. But after few tries you start to notice various lines and the flow of the object. One thing to mention as well was that after drawing all these topology lines I began to notice vital parts of the head that define the head and individual person. I also learned how to create uvw coordinate layout of the model. This is not very exiting part but it gives a lot of freedom and detail in further texturing process. As well creation of head focused on creating different texture maps. I learned how using reference images I can build texture map according to the UVW map template. Also I learned how to create bump and specular map.

The whole process of modelling head went smooth. Except the last hair part and few small glitches mentioned earlier. At this point my laptop was not able to cope very well and 3d max used to crash. Good thing that I did hair last and it did not disturb the process of modelling. I endede up redoing such parts as creating topology for face and ear. However, I feel that I am much better at it. Eventually I feel that my 3D modelling and texturing skills have improved and I look forward to starting group project.

Also I wanted to do some face expressions and animate the head with a morph modifier. However, I did not have enough time to do it and even the idea of rendering animated head with hair gives me a headache as it takes a lot of time to render a single frame. I wanted to add eyebrows, eyelashes and my earring, but everything adds up to lack of time and deadlines. Nevertheless, I managed to finish all tutorials and execute them quite good.
Some final renders of the head for the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment